Monday, February 25, 2008

The human touch(screen)

So thanks to my classmate, Goldie Chow, I have come across an extremely interesting article about the use of technology to in essence replace the role of waiters in some up and coming restaurants.

The premise behind this technology is placing a touch screen computer at every table in the restaurant and allowing the customer to place their order using the system. Not only does the computer give diners a digital edition of the menu, but also allows them to see pictures of the dishes they are considering.

And these systems seem to be working. The article cites "Frame, a trendy sushi restaurant in Tel Aviv that has installed the system, [where] sales on tables with the e-menus had increased by about 11 percent. Customers often call ahead to reserve spots equipped with the screens."

This technology is very practical in theory, and in certain instance, in practice as well. However there are a lot of flaws to the system. I recently ate a restaurant near my parent's house called uWink that uses these e-menus. It was a very cool experience, being able to see what the food that I was ordering would look like, as well as being able to play trivia games with my friends while we waited for our food to come.

However, we encountered a number of problems, like the inability to push tables together to accommodate our large party due to the hardwiring of the system, a difficulty splitting the check with the automated payment system, and simply a lack of ease in customizing out food order. Nevertheless, it was a fun night, breaking the norm of dinning at a typical restaurant like CPK.

But integrating technology into our daily lives will always face opposition. "'I don't believe in screens - I believe in humans,' said Yoash Torkman, a businessman lunching at Frame. "I'll wait for 15 minutes for a waitress instead of using this. It's a gimmick and gimmicks have very short lives."

I guess we'll see...Check please!

No comments: